Eurovision 2017


    Eurovision: one of my favourite times of the year. The time when nothing else matters but Music and the crazy and unforgettable performances in Europe.

    Who doesn’t remember Verka in 2008 or Moldova in 2011?

    I know, you must be thinking “this girl must be crazy, Eurovision was ages ago, didn’t she move on already?!”. No, shut up, don’t judge me! I am on post-Eurovision depression! 

    Firstly, this year, as a Portuguese, was a really special for me. WE WON! Yes Europe, after 53 years of participation (some of those that I personally felt ashamed of our entry) it was Portugal year.

    Salvador Sobral Amar pelos dois was my favourite entry. His song, his performance, the stage, everything was magical. Believe me when I say that I am not an emotional person, however, this music made and still make me feel like I am in heaven. For three minutes I don’t think of my problems, I don’t feel stressed… I just enjoy the music, appreciate the lyrics, the beautiful moment. For that I truly believe that Salvador was the true winner, he and his sister Luísa Sobral – Who wrote and compose the music – deserve all the credit.

Salvador Sobral
    Salvador is a 27-year-old Jazz singer, and also plays the piano. He is a talented man that since young shares his love for music, participating in Ídolos, the Portuguese version of Idols, in his 20 years old. The singer lived in Spain and USA, moreover, he speaks beside Portuguese, English, Spanish, and a little bit of Italian. His first album Excuse me was released in 2016, and I personally like the songs Excuse me and You've changed. That said, Salvador studied Psychology as well in Lisbon and pays attention to humanitarian causes, for instance, when he wears a shirt on Eurovision conferences that said "S.O.S REFUGEES", alerting to the fact that Europe is not doing enough to help these persons that are running away from their country to save their lives. Luísa, his sister, has also participated in Ídolos, in 2003, placing in third. Like his young brother, she is a talented composer and singer and plays the guitar.


    Eurovision 2017 was amazing, although I must admit that the red carpet ceremony was a little cringy. I mean, the video talks for itself...



    Namely, to talk a little bit of the performances I have to say that Hungary, Bulgaria, France, Ukraine, Finland, Belgium, Macedonia, Azerbaijan and Italy were on my top as well. When I first saw Italy performance back in February in Festival di Sanremo I fell in love with Francesco Gabbani Occidentali's Karma, his happiness and of course, his talent. To be honest, I am still listening to his song, and the same thing happens with Beautiful Mess by Kristian Kostov. He is such an amazing singer, and the music and performance are both perfect.


Francesco Gabbani


Kristian Kostov

            Estonia, Belarus, Ireland and especially the United Kingdom were my big growers of the year, and, Australia and Switzerland were probably my big disappointments: in Australia case because I enjoyed listening to the music, it was a good ballad, but the live performance was a disappointment, and in my opinion although the Swiss singer had her vocals on point, the stage was not good, to not talk about the dress that didn't suit her at all. I am sorry but she looked like a chicken.
Miruna Mănescu

    Montenegro was my guilty pleasure of the year.


    To sum up, 2017 was a wonderful year for Portugal in the contest. We won with a wonderful music that was brought to life for an amazing interpreter. Salvador and Luísa deserve all the success in their careers, and of course, the other contestants as well! In general Eurovision 2017 was an enjoyable show.



What did you think about Eurovision 2017?
Do you agree with Portugal victory?
What was your favourite performance of the year?

Hope you’re having an amazing week!

Nb: I do not own any of these videos and pictures and I am not trying to infringe copyright here.

Mariana Nunes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram