Our Carnival costumes throughout the years


Carnival is a Western Christian and Greek Orthodox festive season that occurs before the liturgical season of Lent, typically in February or March. It is believed that Italy started the tradition of wearing wild costume festival right before the first day of Lent. During Lent, Catholics do not eat meat and that’s why the festival was called Carnevale, which means “to put the meat away”.

In Portugal, Carnival is celebrated throughout the country especially in Ovar, Sesimbre, Madeira, Torres Vedras, Loulé and Nazaré. We are both from Madeira Island and our schools used to organise small parades to show our costumes. Most costumes from year 1 to year 4 were created by us.

Therefore, here are some pictures of our costumes throughout the years:

Jesika Gomes
Pre-school/Kindergarten: the concept was animals. I dressed up as a cow because it was the only costume that my dad could find hahaha. It's a shame that I don't have any pics but my outfit was similar to this one.


In Year 1: Clown

Year 2: Pirate

Year 3: Sailor

Year 4: the concept was Alice In Wonderland. I dressed up as a card.

Year 5: Witch

Year 6: Vampire (I had to cover my face because I didn't want to scare you. My mouth is open because I wanted to show my vampire teeth ahaha)

In year 7, I dressed up as a child and in year 8 I dress up as a man. Year 9 was the last time I celebrated Carnival. I remember wearing ripped clothes with one of my best friends.  Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures from those three years.

Mariana Nunes
First things first, unfortunately, I was not able to get my pictures of Carnival in time for the publication of this article. Because of this, I decided to look on the internet for pictures with identical costumes from the ones that I had used so I can share them with you along with some stories.

Truly, I only remember dressing up for Carnival until my Year 4 at School. After that, I stopped, without any special explanation. Yet, I still like this time of the year, celebrating eating as many malasadas (Portuguese confection, first made by inhabitants of Madeira Island, made of egg-sized balls of yeast dough that are deep-fried in oil and coated with granulated sugar) as I possibly can, and by going to see the cortege when possible.

One of my first costumes was Red Riding Hood. I remember feeling adorable ahah. The costume looked like this:

When I was a child I wanted to be a doctor. This way, one of the costumes that I remember using was a nurse. Looking back, it doesn’t make much sense, doctor and nurse are different professions, however, I recall that I enjoyed that day and it was one of my favourite costumes.

One year, I went dressed up as a witch. I was all pleased because I had the complete costume, broom included. Curiously, in the morning I was at school proudly parading but I spend the afternoon trying to find a way to get rid of the broom because I was annoyed to have to take it everywhere.

The costume looked like this:
Another year I dressed up in a beautiful Mexican dress. I remember the costume perfectly, but sadly I could not find anything similar on the internet.

Furthermore, like probably most girls I also dressed up as a Princess for Carnival... twice. One of the dresses was the typical pink one, and the other was blue. 

Moreover, I have the memory of one year going to see the cortege with my family and dressing up as a little devil. Ahah, I think it suited me well!

What were your carnival costumes throughout the years?

Jesika & Mariana

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram