My advice for the first year of university


Starting university is a big transition and a rollercoaster of emotions. First, you are extremely excited and happy to meet new people and live in a new environment. Then, you feel like dying and wishing to go back home as soon as possible so that you don’t have to worry or even think about dreadful words like essays, presentations, written and oral exams.  

My second year of uni is about to come to an end and so I wanted to give you some tips on how to manage the incredible life of a university student based on my own personal experience. 

1 – Balance your social life and university life: When you start university, you want to make the most of it and this means to make as many friends as you can. It literally becomes one of your priorities because you don't want to be completely alone in this new chapter of your life. Once you meet a few people, you'll receive invitations to go to parties, to nightclubs or to just simply hang out. Obviously, you will say ‘yes' as it is a good way to get to know these people better and to make memories. However, you need to know that you aren't going to university only to go out every day. You are paying tuition fees and therefore you have to make sure you're doing your best to get good grades. With this said, I suggest you start your assignments as soon as possible to make your life easier. This way you will not leave everything until the last minute and you'll have free time to meet your friends. Also, I highly recommend you buy a planner in order to organise your life and manage your time. I can't stress enough how much a personal planner has helped me to keep track of deadlines. I'm the type of person that has to write everything otherwise I tend to forget things quite easily.

2 – Keep in contact with your friends back at home and your family: Just because you're going to university and you're about to meet new people, it doesn’t mean that you need to cut ties with your old friends and family. Make you sure you call or text them. Ask them how they are doing and share what has happened since you came to university. What I really want to say with this is, don’t take them for granted. Don’t just remember about them when you're feeling lonely or when things aren’t going the way you expected.
I have always talked with my best friends since I came to University and let me tell you that without them I don’t know how I would have survived this new chapter of my life. My family and my best friends have always supported me so much. Even though I have friends from my course with whom I get along with, my family and my best friends are the ones who truly know the real me and I feel so comfortable and relieved when I share my struggles with them. So, please don’t forget about the people that cherish you.

3 – Be yourself: Don’t change who you are just for others’ sake. You don’t need to be someone you’re not to make friends and to be accepted by society. If you don’t like alcohol, don’t drink. If you don’t like nightclubs or parties because it makes you stressed and uncomfortable, don’t go. It is true that you might hear people telling “you are so boring” or “you’re missing out all the fun” but if alcohol and parties or nightclubs are not your thing, you shouldn’t feel pressured to do something you don’t want to. I would rather be myself and be happy than pretend to be something I’m not and live in constant sadness. This is my advice to you: If they really like you and they want to be your friend, they will accept you as you are. 

4 – Don’t compare yourself to others: I’m trying to do my best on this one. Sometimes I'm insecure and I tend to underrate everything I do because in my head what others do will always be better. However, I’m trying to change this and I’m trying to see things from another perspective. No one is perfect, and no one knows everything. If we knew everything, we wouldn’t go to uni. Therefore, what’s the point in comparing myself to others? They will also make mistakes just like I do and that’s completely fine. It’s part of life. We only grow up by learning from our mistakes. What I want you to realise is that you are just as intelligent as everybody else and you will for sure graduate and find a good job if you do your best.

5 – It’s okay to feel overwhelmed and stressed: everyone and I seriously mean EVERYONE gets stressed and overwhelmed because of uni. You’ll feel like you don’t have enough time to prepare for an exam or to finish your assignment, you’ll ponder giving up, you’ll think about calling your mum and cry. If you feel extremely anxious, try to go to the beach (if you have a beach near you live) or surround yourself with nature, read a book, listen to music or watch something that you enjoy. Do something that makes you happy and relaxed. When you’re stressed you won’t be able to do anything worth it for uni. First, try to calm down and then you’ll be ready to finish whatever you have to do.

6 – Join societies and clubs or do volunteering work: Societies and clubs are a good way to meet people and make new friends from other courses. There are many different clubs, so you’ll have plenty of choices and I believe you’ll find one that truly sparks an interest in you. If you're not interested in societies/clubs, do some volunteering work if you enjoy contributing back. At the moment, I'm volunteering in a hospital and so far I'm enjoying it!

7 – Don’t be scared to start a conversation: I’m an introvert and I know how hard and terrifying it is just to think about initiating a conversation with someone. In the first year of university, everyone wants to make friends so don’t be scared to say “Hi!”. I assure you that they will be friendly and approachable. Also, try talking with some people from your course on social media before uni starts. That’s what I did, and it made things easier. 

8 – Don’t be scared to transfer course/university or take a gap year: If you’re not enjoying the course or the university or if you feel like you don’t know what you want to do in life don’t be scared of taking a gap year or transferring university/course. It is completely fine to not like what you are studying.  Taking a gap year might help you realise what is it that you really like to do. It’s always better to transfer when we are young than regretting when we’re already working. I have written a personal article about changing to another course, if you are interested please click here.

 I hope this helps you a lot and I wish all the best to all the future uni students! You’ll be fine!

I hope you have a lovely day!
Jesika x
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram