My experience with personal journals!


Isn't it mysterious to begin a new journal like this? I can run my fingers through the fresh clean pages but I cannot guess what the writing on them will be.
- Maud Hart Lovelace, in Betsy in Spite of Herself

  Lately, I have been thinking a lot in starting to write a new personal journal. Honestly, at this point, the only thing that is preventing me is the fact that I don't have a notebook for this cause, and like Jesika said "Of course. You are not going to write in toilet paper", ahah.

4/04/2019
Dear Diary,
As always I left the article to the last of the hour. I am an idiot.

- That would probably be my first entry if I started to write now.

  I think many people have their first journal during childhood. I remember receiving my first when I was little, my sisters got one by the same time, and I am pretty sure that my friends also had one. If I am not mistaken, my first journal was a notebook whose cover had the design of a small butterfly. The journal had a padlock, and I would put it in its case, closing it by making a bow. Later I would have more, I actually even had a Hello Kitty Electronic Password Diary (that one was especially fun). In the beginning, I would write everything on it: my day at school, a crush, an argument, my feelings, etc. In particular, I will never forget this specific occasion, when I was around 10-11 years old, and one of my friends at the time came to my house. We were playing around and she opened a notebook that was, of course, my journal. She didn't know and opened it on a random page. It was so embarrassing. On that period I was addicted to the anime Mermaid Melody, so on that page, I had written: "Ohh I wish I could be Pink Pearl Princess Mermaid" and drawn that character below the text. Faced with the confusion of my friend I simply ignored what had just happened, kept the notebook and mentally facepalmed myself.

4/04/2019
Dear Diary, 
I should be continuing to write my article, but I could not resist and had to go see YouTube videos of Mermaid Melody. I cannot stop singing the songs mentally now. What did I do?

- This would be my second entry. I am not proud.

  Anyways, the problem for me is that I wasn't able to write regularly. In other words, for a certain period, I would write every day, but suddenly I would lose interest/will and stop for months and then years. The last time that I tried to start a journal was probably five years ago, and that was my worst attempt since I only wrote two pages. Curiously, I wrote it in English, this way my sisters wouldn't understand much if they tried to and I could practise my writing that at that epoch was horrible.

  Furthermore, having a journal has a good amount of advantages. Once, my Portuguese teacher in the tenth year at School told my class that keeping a journal was very helpful, since improved our writing skills. I agree, and I can add that it's also very effective in the sense that it's a way to vent. Sure you can talk with your family, friends, significant other, yet some things we don't want to share with anyone, we want to keep it to ourselves. A diary is a good way to project these thoughts because occasionally they can become too much to handle. Another benefit, it's the obvious one: the major part of us has a limited memory capacity, this way, as we grow older, and live new experiences, we gradually lose older memories: moments of childhood, of adolescence... Sadly, it's inevitable. Therefore, keeping a journal over the years is one of the ways to keep those who were our feelings previously, thoughts, good and bad moments. Ultimately, it's a way for us to remember in the future whatever it is we wanted to write one day. For example, as I stated above, when I was little I wanted to be a mermaid. My childhood journal will always remember me that.

  A few years back, when I was cleaning my room, I found my old diaries and I have to admit that I laughed at some things that I had written. However, it was indeed interesting to read former feelings and adventures, remember past friends and dreams, and even see that some wishes I had truly accomplished and others were still a goal to reach. Reflecting on the subject, I remember Stefan Salvatore of the series The Vampire Diaries, who wrote his journey in countless journals, and well, he was a vampire so that was a lot of recorded memories and transcribed feelings. I want to do the same, as a result when I grow old I can read about my past experiences or even think to myself "Why was I like that?".

  To sum up, although in the past I only would write in my journal for one month or two maximum, and then stop, keeping one only has advantages. My experience may not be the best, nevertheless I am only twenty years old and hopefully, I have a long life ahead of me with a great number of adventures, reflections and emotions to register. It'll be interesting to read them when I am old.

I hope you have an amazing weekend!

Nb: I do not own picture and I am not trying to infringe copyright here.

Mariana Nunes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram